Sunday, January 8, 2017

Mom Bod

As my maternity leave is coming to a close, I realize that I am going to be seeing a lot of people that I haven't seen since I delivered our daughter Maya. And I would just like you put it out there:

I have NOT lost all of my pregnancy weight! My hips are still wide. There is a little extra 'junk in the trunk.' My milk-filled breasts often spill over my bra. And my tummy has a little more wiggle than I would like.

I know what it's like when someone returns to work from maternity leave because I used to be on the other side of it. You wait to see if the new mom is back to her once slim self. Part of you hopes she is still a little plump because it gives you something to talk about. Also, it gives you a little bit of satisfaction knowing they are not as superhuman as you thought they were. The other part of you wants the new momma to be back to her old sexy self because you think, "if she can do it, I can too!"

After my first pregnancy, I lost the baby weight with minimal effort. (Then again, I also had postpartum depression. So my appetite was pretty nonexistent. But that discussion is for another day.) I returned to work after 12 weeks looking pretty much the same as I did before I got pregnant.

Not this time. I will be returning to work with a little extra cushion. So let me just save everyone the gossip because I am completely aware. This weight is sticking to me like butter.

I've done everything the same as I did after my first pregnancy. I'm breastfeeding. I work out 4-5 times a week. And I eat healthy. My body is slowly getting back to where I would like it to be. But I'm not quite there yet.

The funny part is...it doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. I spend my days chasing a toddler and cuddling with my baby rather than obsessing over my body. Yes, there are days when it really bothers me that I can't squeeze into my skinny jeans. But most of the time, I'm perfectly fine running around in my yoga pants.

So for those of you waiting to see what I look like after baby #2, let me save you the surprise. I'm a curvy little momma!


P.S. I realize that I am most likely putting more emphasis on my post pregnancy body than others will. Maybe it's because I'm self-conscious. Maybe I pay a little too much attention to the media, making negative comments about every female celebrity mom. But the pressure on women to return to their slim selves post pregnancy is very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment